Tuesday 20 March 2012

Medieval thread reels

A friend in our re-enactment group Pelican-in-her-Piety, has asked me to turn her some thread reels.  She needs these as she produces high quality hand sewn authentic clothing for the group and whoever else is interested.  Every aspect of the group’s activities has to be authentic as it regularity takes part at events for English Heritage which has high standards and expectations.

The specification for the reel is from a drawing in the book ‘The Medieval Household’ (Museum of London) by Geoff Egan (published 2010) and I took measurements directly from this.  There is no detail of the species of wood it is made from but after a few attempts oak gives me the best finish, though I will continue to try other native species as I gain confidence when making more of these.  

I am using oak in its green state at about 14” long, split and drawknived on a shaving horse.  This is then set in the pole lathe and roughed out into a cylinder.  Each discus at the ends are marked on the spindle so the finer turning can be carried out to the measurements of the original specification.


Once the first reel is finished I part off the reel at each end by thinning down as per the specification profile and remove from the cylinder with a sharp knife.


Once I removed the first reel, I re-centred the waist billet and installed it back onto the lathe so I could turn a second reel.  The reason for removing the first reel before starting the second is to eliminate the vibration that naturally occurs over such a length when the diameter is reduced to the 9mm.

The second reel is then turned in the same way as the first.  The amount of reels that can be turned from a single billet depends on the length of the original piece of wood and maximum length of the lathe bed.  The piece of wood in this case was 14” long and I was able to turn two reels, leaving a 3” piece of waist (the ideal length needed for three or four wraps of cord needed to turn the item).


I have really enjoyed turning these reels as before I converted my bowl lathe to accept spindle work I have not really had much chance to practice spindle projects.  Even making these small delicate reels has helped me improve my skew chisel use.

Once I have finished this initial order, I shall carry on making these reels for the re-enactment market, as I’m sure re-enactors and medieval tailors will appreciate pole-lathe turned items.

Bring on the next project!


1 comment:

  1. These are lovely! Are you still making them?

    I work with silk, making thread from the cocoons, raising the worms, etc... these would be beautiful displays for silk sewing or embroidery thread, as well as practical for my working kit.

    ReplyDelete